Delicious Ham Dishes

So, crazy me didn't think to blog some of my dinners this week. Most of them will consist of ham. Yes.... I said ham.
Sunday I prepared a delicious 11 pound bone in ham for my family of four. Of course there was leftovers so I decided to continue my ham journey to my all time favorite. Monday night's ham & potato casserole. So so so good. It's an easy German recipe that was given to me by ny childhood besty's grandmother. I loved when she made this for us as kids. When learned to cook, I immediately contacted for the recipe.

Ham & Potato Casserole
4 large potatoes (thinly sliced)
1 cup diced ham
1 medium onion diced
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups milk
salt and pepper to taste

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2) In a saucepan melt butter over medium low heat. Saute onions. Slowly whisk in flour, stirring constantly until thick and chunky (about 1 minute). Continue whisking while slowly pouring in milk. Do not allow lump to form. Keep whisking until a thick cream sauce forms. It should take approximately 4-5 minutes.
3) Add ham and salt and pepper.
4) In a medium casserole dish layer potatoes and sauce mixture.
5) Cover and bake for 1 hour. Adjust timing if needed.

Tonight will be split pea soup. I have never made this before. I am using a recipe from allrecipes.com. I will post the link and let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment